Friday, September 10, 2010

Mercy, Forgiveness, Submission, Obedience, Revival

Thank You Lord...for your mercy and steadfast love! Thank you for knowing the depths of my heart. For loving me enough to stir my heart when I haven't even realized I had drifted. For reviving me again and again when I didn't deserve it.

I was reminded yesterday and this morning in my everyday dealings with my children and in my quiet time with the Lord that I am in need of reminders. No it's not an age thing but a human nature thing. In raising my children I find that what do I expect from my children?

Submission and obedience.

I expect my children to submit to my authority over them because I am the parent. I expect their obedience because I am the parent. I expect it every time but do I get it? NO! Of course anyone who knows anything about raising children knows that submission and obedience doesn't come naturally and it is not something that you ever stop learning.
Isn't the same with our relationship with our Heavenly Father? We are His children and doesn't he want submission and obedience to His authority from us? YES!

How can I expect my children to do these two things when there are times when their own mother (ME) is not submitting her life to God and being obedient? I am constantly telling my 2 older children how their 2 younger siblings are watching their every move and behavior and how they set the example. "Monkey see, Monkey do!" I always hear myself saying to them. So why do I always get surprised when my children are disobedient? Shouldn't I be setting the example? Aren't I the monkey? (And no I am not referencing the theory of evolution here so please don't read to much into that.) Aren't I supposed to be submitting and obeying God instead of following the ways of the world?

Well Thankfully I serve a forgiving and merciful God. He knows my heart. He knows my struggles. He hears my prayers. He reveals to me my weaknesses. He never forsakes me. He doesn't see a lost cause. And thankfully He has given me the ability to show all these qualities to my children if I submit and obey God.

1 Samuel 15:22-25 - Samuel said, "Has the Lord as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has also rejected you from being king." Then Saul said to Samuel, "I have sinned; I have indeed transgressed the command of the Lord and your words, because I have feared the people and listened to their voice. Now therefore, please pardon my sin and return with me, that I may worship the Lord."

Hebrews 13:17 - Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account.

Deuteronomy 30:10-11 - ...if you obey the Lord your God to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and soul. "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach."

So the lesson for me today, is that I need to remember who it is that I am to be submitting to and obeying. Then I can come to expect my children to do the same. I am the example; I am the steward to my children to show them who God is so that they to may become followers of Christ. My disclaimer - Now I know my children will not allows submit and obey me because we live in a sinful fallen world, just as the Lord and I both know that I will make my own mistakes and will not allows submit and obey His commandments...BUT that doesn't mean that God doesn't require complete and constant obedience. He does and He disciplines and forgives. So knowing this will I stop requiring this of my children? No. Because God loves me enough to call me one of his own and to call, convict, compel, change and even discipline me when necessary.

Once again, it is time for the reviving of my heart now that I have recognized the spiritual drift that has occurred in me.

Psalm 85:6-9 - Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you? Show us your steadfast love, O Lord, and grant us your salvation. Let me hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly. Surely his salvation is near to those who fear him, that glory may dwell in our land.

I am looking forward to hearing and learning more of what God has for me as I walk through the book of Hosea!

Thank you Lord for the revelation you have given to me today and loving me enough to show me the areas in my life that need your help and correction. Thank you for awakening my heart to you Lord. Thank you for showing me the sin in my own life. I pray that you give me a revived hunger for Your Word. I pray for all those who struggle the same way I do. Thank you for the hope and love you have shown me. Let me be an encouragement to others and just another example of how you constantly extend mercy, love and forgiveness to all. I also pray for my future stumbles, because I know there will be more. Thank you for the cross that I may be forgiven when I didn't deserve it. In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I am just now reading this...but, felt it necessary to say thank you!